Day 17 & 18 - Sanding between varnish coats and removing the tape after the varnish is dry

I mentioned on my previous post that I applied several coats of varnish the first day - while true, I did that in quick succession before any previous coat dried. I used an applicator sponge and not the included bristle brush (my preference). The multiple coat were really more about building up adequate coverage. Some people don't like to apply any single coat that thickly. That is generally good advice. The application of coats can be spread over as many days as you have coats to apply. Here I am sanding between coats on later days. As I have ridges between planks on the deck, I preferred to get coverage built up to a point where the resulting surface was mostly smooth. Again, this is personal preference and probably not something I would do on any other wood project because I prefer a "closer to the wood" finish. Given the marine application here, I went for thicker is better:







Comments

  1. Great build blog, Wished I would have taken pictures during my build. Beautiful boat, the T37 sails very well.
    We have a pretty competitive fleet here where I sail in Port Ludlow Wa. I have a ton of videos of the races at my youtube channel, "beercanracer" Probably not cool to put a link here to it, but if you type the name as all one word at youtube's search box it comes up.
    Enjoy your T37,

    Satch Yarbrough
    T-37 #1662
    "Plane Jane"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to include the link. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to my youtube channel with the T-37 racing videos,
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Beercanracer
      Regards,
      Satch Yarbrough

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction — Why do a build log?

Day 4 - Assembling the keel, finishing fairing

Day 16 - Applying varnish to the deck