Day 15 - Sanding epoxy and starting prep for varnishing the deck
So, after applying epoxy to the deck openings (not happy with how those came out) and the keel and rudder surfaces, it was pretty clear that these surfaces were now not smooth enough for final finishing. The fact is that epoxy is difficult at best to apply to a smooth surface and get a smooth result. Epoxy is thick and does not really level out as well as one would hope. It could be my technique and if you disagree, please post your suggestions. In my case, I sanded damn near every bit of epoxy I had applied back off. Given the way I will finish the boat (Kilz sealer followed by numerous coats of oil-based paint), I am not depending on the epoxy to provide water-resistance. For that matter, if that was the purpose of applying the epoxy than should it not have been applied to the entire hull? I really don't understand the reason for that step:
The one place the epoxy makes total sense (and I am sorry but I did not photograph this step) is filling the void between the keel and the slot for the keel in the hull. Hard to tell in the photo below but I filled in the area all around the keel where it meets the hull and in the gaps fore and aft of the keel. That worked perfectly well:
Further to my previous post about not wanting to have applied epoxy around the deck openings, you can see the stark color difference. I sanded this area like a crazy person trying to get it flat again. I eventually ran out of patience:
Ditto for the rudder access port. Here I have applied tape to cover the transom as that area will be painted as opposed to varnished. The deck will be varnished. The toerails will be painted. More on that in a subsequent post:





Comments
Post a Comment