Day 21 & 22 - Taping off the keel and painting the hull

Perhaps a bit unusually, I elected to use the Kilz as my primer AND my finish for the rudder and keel. Since I will be applying a clear poly-acrylic over the entire vessel, I suspect this approach will work perfectly. I also choose to paint my hull blue. That procedure starts with removing the rudder and cover the keel so it receives no blue paint:


Here is the first coat of blue paint - a spray oil-based paint. Same issues with paint drying and a bit of orange peel with this method. My preference would be to use my HVLP sprayer. Why didn't I? Don't know:


After several coats, things were looking just fine:


I removed the tape and touched up and problem areas:


Here you can see the contrast with the keel:


Not an absolutely perfect margin between the two colors, but not bad for painters tape. A little touch up cleans it up nicely:












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction — Why do a build log?

Day 4 - Assembling the keel, finishing fairing

Day 16 - Applying varnish to the deck