Day 10: Sanding the toe-rail epoxy and mounting the keel
Ok, lots to do today. I start by using my RO sander to sand the epoxy flush with the hull and toe rail and generally smooth everything out. I did a little hand sanding as well to smooth the inside and outside edges of the toe rail (I used 220 grit on the slowest speed setting):
At the transom, you can see the beginnings of my shaping of the transition between toe rail and transom:
This is the side view of the transom and you can clearly see the build up of epoxy on the side of the hull and the shaping going from toe rail to transom:
More of the same...
In the photo below you can see the same epoxy treatment after I have completed most sanding and you can see the shape of the bow:
Bottom of the bow:
And the top of the bow:
Amidships, you can see the joint between the toe rail pieces but they are smooth to the touch after epoxy and sanding:
The next step was to apply pore filler to the entire hull (not the deck). Why? If you choose to paint the hull, you will likely want a super-smooth and glossy finish. You don't want wood grain showing up in the finish. Wood filler (pore filler) fills in the grain in the wood and results in a smooth surface once sanded. This pore filler brand is highly recommended and I use it in my woodworking projects all the time. It is water-based and enables you to create a fast drying putty at the right consistency. I suggest a pretty runny consistency so it can be brushed on with a small utility paint brush - stiffer is better. Apply a thin layer and let dry:
Timbermate applied and sanded back (220 again but this time by hand):
Next up, mounting the keel to the hull. Follow the included instructions as there is not much to add to the already well-documented steps. Here are some photos to help...
Test-placement of the ribs. Mine were a tad higher than the keel - not sure why...
Here you can see I was about an ⅛ inch too high:
So off to the bandsaw for a slight trim:
Now, make sure the keel is square to the hull:
The optional stand for the boat works great to keep things level:
Clear-coat epoxy applied to the platform for the servos:
Clear coat applied to the ribs and since I had extra clear coat I went ahead and did the inside surfaces of the rudder pieces.
Clear epoxy applied to the inner surface of the hull from side to side and front to rear slightly past where the keel support rests:
Be sure to apply clear epoxy to the keel while out of the hull and extend the clear epoxy down about ¼" on the part of the keel that will be exposed outside the hull - a fillet of epoxy will be added here later:
Hardner being added to the pre-thickened epoxy. I opted to ditch the syringes and started using some cheap plastic measuring spoons - the mixing container is a plastic shot glass:
A fillet of epoxy applied all around the keel where it protrudes into the inside of the hull, and shaped with a plastic spoon. I was not overly concerned about neatness here as most of this is covered by the servo platform. Note the raised runners of epoxy applied where the ribs will sit:
The ribs are placed firmly down into the epoxy:
After adding a healthy bead of epoxy on top of the keel and ribs, the servo platform is pressed firmly in place.
Another view:
and another:
Starting to really look like a sailboat now:


























Comments
Post a Comment